Sunday, November 7, 2010

Carrots


When I was growing up I remember my father had to plant what seemed to me to be miles and miles of carrots. We ate quite a few carrots. There was one point where my father went on this fruit and vegetable juice craze. He got a juicer and had my mother make him gallons of carrot juice...of which he would drink several glasses a day. It wasn't too long before he started noticing something strange when he looked in the mirror.

Yep, you got it. He started turning orange. So that did it for his carrot juice craze. But we still ate quite a few carrots. My mom made many and many a carrot salad. I have tried many times to replicate her carrot salads; she never really measured anything in it, I don't believe. But I can never make them to where they taste as good as the ones she made.

But in that Recipes from India article I found this gem:

Carrot Salad

Carrot Salad

2 medium carrots, grated
1 med tomato, seeded and chopped
½ C plain yogurt
½ C sour cream
¼ C raisins
¼ C finely chopped red onion
½ tsp salt
Fresh cilantro leaves and coarsely ground pepper, optional

In a small bowl combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Garnish with cilantro and pepper, if desired.


This is super easy to make, you can make it a few hours ahead of time and it's very good. Even hubby liked it, and he's not much into carrots, at all. Once again I loved the plain yogurt addition to it; it adds a tang to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment