Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Wax Bean Soup


Here's a recipe I got by just Googling "wax bean soup." I forget where I got it from. In any case, I grew some wax beans this year, and wanted to try out a soup with them. You can use green beans, it would all taste the same I believe. In any case I like dishes with lots of color to them; this is one of those. It all depends on what you add as far as veggies, but it looks nice.


Wax Bean Soup

yellow wax beans, cleaned & cut (I prefer to cut them lengthwise and then in half)
potatoes, cubed
anything else you have in your kitchen that you want to add (ie. celery, carrots, peppers, etc)
onion
oil
dill or parsley
salt/pepper to taste
sour cream / milk or buttermilk

In one pot cook the potatoes in salt water until just tender and add whatever other ingredients you want to add and finish cooking until all veggies are tender. Chop onion and saute in oil until tender but not brown and add to the veggie mixture. Mix and add seasoning to taste - if you prefer a spicier soup, you can use hot yellow peppers and that will spice the soup up. Let the soup cool a bit and in a bowl, mix sour cream and milk until it is a thick liquid or use some buttermilk on its own. Add the milk mixture to the soup when it's cooled a bit and add the dill or parsley (depending on if you like dill) and heat up to when ready to serve.

The measurements were never specific with my mom's recipes - they just got put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment